Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Get your "SHINE" on

A few months ago, Addie was in a pickle.  She was alone in a social setting.  She said, "I felt so alone and so scared and so clueless."

I turned to her and asked, "so what did you do?"

She looked at me so genuinely and said, "I let my personality shine."

Next week, I have been asked to serve on a panel of women during the 3rd Annual Faith and Beauty Women's Conference.  This year's theme, SHINE.

I have four friends that I admire.  All four of them lost a child.  And all four of them took this ultimate loss and created something amazing.

One of these women has educated health care workers so the accident that took her child will not take another.  Additionally, she and her husband has raised thousands of dollars for scholarships.  They are relentless.  The amaze and inspire me.  The two of them are changing and saving lives. 

My "Prom Date Darrin" and his wife lost their soldier son, not in the line of duty, but during vacation, to a motorcycle accident.  Instead of retreating, they built a home for veterans in his honor. 

My friend who helped me and guided me through the worst of the "button's" antics and suggested a support group that saved my life, gives me strength daily.    While my son lives, her son died of an overdose.  In months, she reinvented herself.  She left her job, pursued her dream and is becoming a chef.  I cheer her on in my prayers daily.

My friend Candida and I were pregnant at the same time.  Beside her husband, I was the first person she told.  Neither knew what we were having.  Our daughters were nine days and nine ounces apart.  Her precious baby girl drowned at 22 months old.

Despite her loss, Candida began to SHINE.  Three children, an awesome husband, her own business and now her passion.  Faith and Beauty weekends.  Women coming together to grow spiritually and to celebrate inner beauty.  Candida and her first born inspire me and make me a better person.

Candida asked me to be on this panel.

I am a little nervous about serving one this panel.  Seriously, what if I cuss?  I have been known to do this once or one million times.  What if I get a question that I just don't know the answer to or don't understand?  What if I trip?  Why did she ask me?  I am not an expert in anything....I bet I was on the B list.  I am a little more than a little bit nervous.  I know nothing about the other women.  I bet they have PHD's or are CEO's.  Ugh.  No doubt I will be seated beside the skinny, young, lovely one.  Oh, and while I am usually blemish free, you know one will appear on my nose. 

And yet, there is a sense of adventure that excites me about this panel.  Never have I been on a panel.  I have asked a panel questions, but never answered.  After my nerves, comes excitement.

How am I going to handle it?  Going to take some advice from my own daughter.  I am going to let my personality SHINE.  Hope to see you there. 

But, if I am terrible, please don't tell me you were there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment