Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I'm a Buzz kill

Yesterday, two states voted to legalize marijuana.

Look, I am not Rebbecca from Sunny brook Farms.  I have had my moments.  I have "waked and baked" before a WVU football game or two.  I have done a couple of bong hits on Friday afternoon after class.  I get it.  The key words here were "game or two" and "couple of" and this was back in the 80's.

I didn't flunk out, I had a job and during my freshman year, I DEFINITELY took advantage of being away from home and not having my mom's keen senses around.

I watch the news clips last night of the crowds cheering and I was sad.  Everybody was dressed in "grunge", they were young and the signs they carried had words that were not spelled correctly.

It was just so sad to me.  There are so many things going on in the world today and I just wondered if any of the reporters asked the sign carriers, "hey, do you know anything about an Embassy being bombed?"

Marijuana is "supposed" to make you laugh, get the munchies and relax.  Hmmmm. 

Today's marijuana is a business.  The simple fact is that marijuana today is much stronger than what they used to have 20 years ago. 

A 1983 study of THC showed that the pot from the 80's had only 4% of THC.  Today, 10% more THC.

The reason, it is ADDICTIVE.  Give them more THC, they will want it more.  And since marijuana potency's have been increasing for the last two decades, there is a greater chance of adverse mental effects when the drug is abused.

Typically, you start smoking pot when you are young, high school age, when your brain is developing, your body is changing and you or your friends are behind the wheel.  And, it is during this time that users learn to "escape" by abusing, thus, they lose the life skills they were just developing.

Marijuana has changed five lives forever.  My family's lives.  My son is a substance abuser.  Pot and Booze.  Just pot and booze.  I love the line, "pot is really no big deal, it is organic",  Bullshit.  Peanut butter can be organic.  You need to eat, you don't need to be stoned.

Look, I have had too much to drink and I have smoked some weed.  SOME.  I never let it consume me or my life.  I have never lost a job or missed a day of work because of weed.

I know several who have and they are young and not a could habit to learn.

If we allow folks to smoke dope, what is next, fornicating in public parks?  Isn't anything sacred anymore? 

If you are 42 years old, own your own home, your wife goes out of town for the weekend and you go to your buddy's house to watch the big game and he offers you a hit off a joint, is it a big deal?  NO.  You are a man, fiscally responsible and your brain is developed and you get "being responsible for your own actions."

Young kids are not fiscally responsible, they do not get "being responsible for their own actions" and the brains are not developed yet.  Kind of like not eating carrots, "it will stunt your intellectual growth."

I watched the news clip several times today, each time with greater sadness.  One life, at least will be ruined because of pot.  Kind of a buzz kill, don't you think?.

No comments:

Post a Comment