Wednesday, October 3, 2012

a letter from a sister

Last night, during the homework, dinnertime hustle and bustle, Addie was busy at work on my laptop.

It wasn't until later that I had a chance to see what she was doing.  No wonder I have shingles.

Dear Button,

I really miss you alot and I have been praying for you.  I'm really mad because you knew you were going to get in trouble and you need to stop hanging out with those friends.  Who knows when you will get out of jail.  You need to stop behaving like this.  I love you with all my heart.  I think about you all day long.  What I'm mad about is why did you do this?  I was worried.  You could have got drunk and people dared you to jump of the pier and die.  I am really sad and I miss you so much.  Everyone says oh your brother is in jail.  You were on the news so everyone knows.  I am so embarrassed.  Why did you do this.  I'm sitting here in the living room crying to death.  We love you so much.  I know you have what you have but you do what you do.  I'm so sad.  We all love you.  We care about you.

Love,
Addie I really love you.

This is when I come undone.  And this is when I want to grab EVERY SINGLE PERSON who says "it is only pot" or "it is just a few beers" or 'well I drank when I was their age."

This is the letter of what substance abuse does to a family.  Nobody gets up in the morning and says, "hey, you know, today is the perfect day to become a substance abuser."  It happens over time.  And it happens when others enable others to take part in this and never have the courage to say, "hey dude, you need to stop."  Or, how about, "dude, this is ruining your life, STOP."

This is also the letter they I would love to send to the young folks who thought it was just a joke and that  "it is not big deal' and "I will have a blunt waiting for you when you get out." 

This is also the written from the heart of a little girl who has learned more than she should have at age nine.

  And this is also the letter from a young girl who has my permission to clobber someone over the head when they ask her to smoke a joint.

If you know someone with a substance abuse problem or suspect they are at a crossroads, please share this letter with them.  It is the only reason I have published something so personal.  It may save another person, another family or another sweet sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment