Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012 New Year's Resolutions

I love, love, love to make New Year's Resolutions.


I make them every year.  I write them down and tape them to my desk.  I have had the same resolutions for twenty years, not kidding.






This year, in 2012, I decided to change.  


Here are my 2012 Virgin Resolutions
1.  Find Joy everyday
2.  Listen longer, more often
3.  Take the long way home
4.  Sing more


Last night, along with some great ladies, we hosted our First Town Hall Meeting.  The purpose of this meeting is to inform and educate parents about drug use in our community.


We had some political officials there, a fabulous forensic nurse and the "button".


You cannot even imagine how he was dreading this.  


We agreed that he should speak only from the heart.  And, he said, "I got this".  Hmmm, I hate when a kid says that to me.


As the people filed in, it did appear to be the beginning of a hen house.  The "button" looked like he could puke.


Finally some testosterone.


And then it was his turn.  He just said that he had lost alot and he would answer questions from a kid's point of view.  Wow.  Tons of questions came his way.  Wow is really all I can say.


And then came the biggie, "what can we do as parents?"


The answer, "listen, listen calmly.  Don't be a friend, be a parent but listen and don't over react."


"Listen".  


A very simple word and very easy to do, anyone can do it and the results can be significant.


"Listen".


I am a passionate person.  Sometimes my passion is misunderstood for yelling.  My enthusiasm takes over like a tsunami.


Last night, after the meeting, I went upstairs to the "button". 


He talked.  I listened.  I did grip the comforter a few times to keep my mouth from opening and from going bizerk.  I too felt like I was going to puke.  I listened.


I was proud of the parents who came.  I was proud of the questions asked and the comments made.  


I was proud that statements were made and that people listened.


I was proud of the "button".  


I am even more proud that I  had the courage to decide to change my resolutions.  I was proud that I made it to January 10, 2012 and still remembered them.


I was proud that I listened and took the information and others cared enough to listen.



No comments:

Post a Comment