Sunday, August 14, 2011

I Heart Alexander Graham Bell

Last night, as we were drifting off, my phone rang.  I saw the area code and huge panic invaded my body.

I picked up and said "hello" and in return I heard, "hey mom, what's up?" 

At the moment my heart grew 15 inches.  I now know how mom's of deployed members of the military feel when they get a call.

The "button" is doing great.  He is busy.  He attends meetings and works, alot.  He said that it "is the saddest place you will ever be".  He is getting "alot out of the meetings and he is a saint compared to most people there."  That is hard to believe.

I feel sorry for this new generation of texters.  After my first blind luncheon date with Franklin, I wondered when and if he would call.   My heart leaped out of the chest the day he did call. 

There is nothing like the voice of a loved one, ever.  Certain things should be said, "like do you want to go to dinner with me?"  That call after a date is huge, and not getting the call is an even bigger deal.

Some of my favorite times with my mamaw were spent on the phone.  When my mom leaves, I am screwed.  I will have too much time on my hands.

So, "the button" is fine.  Learning alot, the food is good, he drives the van (not many people in rehab have valid driver's license) and he needs socks.  And, he cannot wait for us to visit when he gets his "free" day. 

Alexander is my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment