Monday, August 1, 2011

E.T. phone home

Now that the "button" is attending summer camp, our conversations are limited.  He does call but he cannot call everyday.  He calls Franklin (my husband) because Franklin is a bail bondsman (i know, the irony) and his phone up for summer camp calls.  Not always do I get to speak to him. 

Many of you have asked privately, what did the "button" do?  I don't know. 

It was just like E.T. when he landed in someone's  home and while the owner's of the home were gone, E.T. drank, alot.

The "button" has been running away for over year now.  And then after wrestling season, he left and just didn't come home. 

That is why we didn't get him help.  We didn't know where he was.

And then, he found a home.  I honestly don't know what happened.  I wasn't there.  But, what I have been able to piece together in my own mind, he strolled into a beach house and made himself a home.  And, just like E.T., the "button" was in over his head and didn't know how to get back home.

Instead of calling or asking us for help, he opened the fridge and started drinking.  Not a good thing.

You see, the "button" is adopted.  His biological parents both had and still have addiction issues that were never treated.  Alcohol was the nemesis. 

Since the "button" was five, we have been speaking honestly and openly about his genetic make up and how drugs and alcohol would not be good for him.

But, when you are 18, you don't care what your parents say or what they think. 

You are super smart and you are 18.

The criminal acts are not the problem.  They are the aftermath.  The stimuli are the drugs and the booze.
If your child needs glasses, you take them to the eye doctor.  Have a toothache, then off to the dentist you go.  This time, we find the tools and the "button" has to do the work.

And seriously, besides therapy, if this blog helps just ONE family or ONE child, that is all we care about.

Now, we are sitting in the woods, with a tool that is a little better than a Fisher Price computer rigged up hoping to get the "button" back.

Nightly, the "button" would get up about two times per night to use the bathroom.  The mother hearing was programmed to hearing him open his door, open and close the bathroom door and then go to the bathroom.

I think one night I was sleeping a little too soundly and a space ship landed in my back yard and the "button" was curious so he wondered out there to investigate and a little alien replaced my son. 

I am praying that my tools will work and my son will "phone home" again.

Buy stock in Reese's pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment