Thursday, May 11, 2023

A very different Mother's Day

It is fast approaching.  Mother's Day.  Cold breakfast in bed, while people watch you eat, Sunday Brunches, cards and good behavior for about two hours.  Mother's Day.

I am not being sarcastic or even cynical, I love a reason to celebrate.  Always.  

But, Mother's Day is very different for me this year.

  • I do not have a mom to call or send a card to this year.  No mom.

Or a Grand-mother or a Great-grandmother.  There was a time when this day meant celebrating four generations of fiercely independent, "mouthy" women who were all moms and from the same gene pool.  

I loved it.

I can remember shopping for Mother's Day cards for all three generations plus my Aunt Judy, my mom's sister.
We are a card sending family.  Our middle names are Hallmark.  And we judge you based on the card you send, the punctuality of the card and how pretty or funny the card is to us.  

The four generations, including my aunt and my cousin, we send cards.

When I was a junior or senior at WVU in Morgantown, West Virginia, there was a lovely Hallmark on High Street.  I found this store shortly after I arrived in Morgantown.

I saved my money at the end of one month, I would go to the Hallmark and buy all the cards I needed for the next month.  And yes, I took the seals.

It was April of 81 or 82, and Mother's Day was approaching.  I worked for the university and got paid on the last day of the month.  This particular year, the last day was on a Sunday.  Not good,  because that meant that I would be up the check on Monday, cash it and funds would be available on Tuesday.  And I was broke.  I had no money, not even a penny.

And I could not give any more plasma for the month.
I was screwed.  
Do I risk sending Mother's Day cards late?
Out of the question.  

So, I went into the store with my yellow folder that I used for class.  And I did what every poor, struggling college student would do, I stole my Mother's Day cards.  One for my mom, one for my grandmother, one for my great-grandmother and one for my Aunt Judy.

I slipped them into my yellow folder and I walked out of the Hallmark store.

I walked up High Street and made it as far as the Tastee-Freeze when someone tapped me on the shoulder.

I turned around and it was the owner of the Hallmark store.  

My first and only attempt at crime was not a success.

"You are going to need some stamps to go with those cards".

Mortified.  That line is right up there with "Make my day" or "You had me at hello."

Mortified. 

I started crying.

He said, "relax, I have seen you coming into my store for years.  You have never stolen.  I need people like you who believe in sending cards.  Pay me back when you get paid."

I did.  I marched in there with money on Tuesday.  He offered my a job.  

Talk about the walk of shame.

Here is the fun fact about these mother's day cards...the card I sent to my mother, she sent to hers.  My Aunt Judy also sent the same card to her mother.  My grandmother sent the same exact card to her mother.  We all sent the same cards.  Amazing.  Never happened again.

Amazing.  I was supposed to steal the cards.  

I told this story at my mom's celebration of life.  I know that thud we heard was her rolling over in her grave.  

I waited until that moment in my life to tell the story.  I was ashamed all those years.

So crazy, this year, I walked into Hallmark with plenty of money, but didn't have anybody to buy cards for, except for my Aunt Judy.

It truly was like a Hallmark movie.  

And here I am, if I could, I would steal way more than Hallmark cards to get those days back.

But now, Mother's Day has a new meaning for me.  

What is the meaning for me now that my mom is gone?

To take her lessons that she taught me and implement them into my children's lives.  I want her wisdom and humor to live on.  And to continue to make her proud of me.

I sent Mother's Day cards.  Any mom should be honored. Everyday.  All day long.

Go have a great Mother's Day weekend.  Make your mom proud but don't steal anything. 






No comments:

Post a Comment