Sunday, January 27, 2013

Prom dates and Forever Friends.

In kindergarten, I met Darren.  He was also in my first grade class and every single class after kindergarten.  I was "Ba" and he was "Br" so I always sat in front of him.  He lived in our neighborhood and attended our church.  We were confirmed together.  He hunted and fished with my dad and brother.  His sister was my brother's girlfriend for awhile. 

He was the freckled smile every morning of my public education.

When prom time came around our senior year, I didn't have a date. This was no big shocker because I NEVER had a date.  I wouldn't have cared but I had counted the Prom Queen votes and knew that my bff was the Prom Queen and I wanted to be there when she was crowned.

As luck would have it, Darren asked me.  Oh, the romance involved.  It went something like this, "since I don't have a date and since it doesn't look like you are going to get one either, do you want to go to the prom with me?"  Who could refuse the suave invitation?   And so off to the Howard Johnsons in Monroeville we went, in the cool Trans Am.

While others sucked face and fought, we danced.  Later, at the after prom, we rode horses, got bucked from the horses, I fell in the water and a good time was had by all.

Throughout the years, we remained in touch.  I was his date to a formal the day after my 21st birthday.  I felt so bad.  Seriously, I felt so bad.  The worst hangover of my life and I was somebody's date.

A few years ago, Darren and his wife suffered a tragedy.  Their son was killed after returning home from a deployment.  He wrecked on his motorcycle. 

He called me this week.  He told me that after the accident, I had sent him an email and called him my forever friend.  He is.  He printed the email and put it in a coat pocket and forgot about it.  Years went by and the other day he put the coat on it and read the email.

My forever friend called me this weekend.  We talked and chatted and caught up and it was like Monday morning all over again, in the basement of FRHS in Mr. Snyder's home room.  A forever friend.

If you are blessed enough to have one, you know how important they can be.

I have always been a bit concerned that the "button" didn't have enough friends, true friends.  He has plenty of people who want to party with him but nobody who really cared about him.He has always been like a beagle, wave and him and he would play with you, regardless.    And, if he did, he has really damaged his social clout and they are gone.  Hanging with the "button" is a liability now. 

I opened up my email the other day, and there it was, a letter to the "button."

"Hey bro, it is my Formy.  I am out here in Oklahoma, a medic in the army.  We ship out Friday for a combat tour.  I'm nervous man, but everything will be okay.  I want to chill with you when I get back from down range.  I love you bro, I call your mom often to check up on ya.  I miss chilling after school, in marine science, just having fun.  I have your address so I am going to write to you while I am gone.  Be safe, smart.  I miss you man.  I love you.  You are one the best friend's I have and you are like family to me.  I love you."

So this young man is about to deploy  and he cares enough to send this letter.  This is a forever friend.  I sent this off to the "button".  He was moved. 

It is funny how God puts people together and where and how they mesh in each other's lives.  I am so aware of how blessed I am to have a freckly faced, cowlick, hunting and fishing forever friend.  And I hope that if you don't have one, you find one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment