Thursday, January 31, 2013

A carpenter, a soldier and a preacher

This summer, I went to talk to my preacher.  What the heck, I had tried everything else, a chat with a preacher couldn't hurt.

The last time I talked to a preacher in his office, I got a divorce.  But still, I had tried everything else.

I had no idea when I went that he too had an adopted son that had struggled with substance abuse.  I also didn't know that this son had talents, he was a carpenter.
 
The preacher man told me that while his son had remained sober, he was concerned that his son "did it alone" and had not allowed God in his life.  A little ironic, don't you think?

I have thought about his son for months.  I have a soft spot for carpenters.

Last week, the "button" got a letter from his forever friend.  The letter said, "I don't mean to preach but the only thing getting me through this deployment is God.  If you have the time, I would suggest that you think about letting God in your life."  Pretty powerful suggestion from a young man and I am pretty sure that the "button" has time.

In church on Sunday, the sermon was about temptation.  This even got Walker's attention who said, "this ought to be good."  I had to laugh.

The preacher said, there are three ways to conquer temptation.  1.  "you cannot go temptation alone, you have to have God in your life.  If you have God by your side, you will be able to conquer your temptation's."

I don't know what two and three were.  He had me at number one and I quit listening to him.  I was so preoccupied.

And then, the preacher got my attention.

He told the story that his one son went to visit "the" son.  The son that he will always look in the rear view mirror with, I can relate.

And the visiting son called after the visit to tell his parents about the visit.  And, of course, the preacher asked, "well, how is he?"  The how is he means, "is he sober, is everything okay, do you think is on the right track?"

And the son "yes".  And then the son said,"dad, he has opened his heart up to God."

And my ten year old son looked up to me and said, "see, I told you this was going to be good."

 I have peace in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment