Monday, November 19, 2012

Beyond Belief, Finding the Strength to Come Back

There isn't a whole lot to do in Summer Camp.  Reading, puzzle books and sit-ups, that is pretty much the order of the day.

Look, if the button is going to have summer camp be his version of higher education, I figured, cool. He will read and he will read "good" books.  The rules are three books per week.  I have been supplying books like East Of Eden, Moby Dick, David Copperfield, you know the classics.

Last week, I did my usual stop at the Used and New Book store.  I went straight to the classics.  Let's see, One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest (sorry, couldn't pass this one up), Lord of the Flies and The Scarlet Letter.  This should keep him occupied.

The counter was busy and so I browsed.  Here I am carrying three books around, one that features a sexually frustrated lady who got caught and has to wear an A on her chest.  I feel like I wear a SC on my chest, SC for summer camp. 

Anyway, I look over, and almost smiling at me is Josh Hamilton.  No,not in person, but his book.  I was immediately captivated by the title, Finding the Strength to Come Back.  I picked it up and started to read it.

Now let's see, Hester Prynne of Josh Hamilton?  Which one, I can only have three books.  Well, I chose Josh.

When I went to write the "button's"name in it, in addition to his name, I wrote,
  "He did it, you can too.  Turn it around, it is Possible.  Love, MOM".

During our visit, I mentioned that I dropped off books.  He got "that" look on his face because I know he was not happy about the previous ones that I had sent.  "There is one that you will like, let me know what you think."

Saturday, the mail came.  Addie got the mail.  She came in the house sobbing with a yellow piece of tablet paper in her hand.  "Mom, you have got to read this."

The good news about summer camp is you are forced to write letters.  I now know what young girls felt like when they got those love letters from their sweeties fighting wars.  While they are not the same, I look forward to every letter that we get.  I am not always happy with the content, but I do like seeing the envelope.

I sat down to read with Addie beside me.

The letter went something like this.

"yes mom, great visit, I felt better that I cried too. Mom, about that book, I read it in two hours.  I was skeptical at first but by page two I never put it down and for the first time, I felt like someone else understood me and all of my mess.  I am so inspired now.  If he can do it, I can too.  I want to write and tell him.  This is my mess and I am going to clean it up and thank you so much for the book.  Get the book yourself, and read these pages (insert random pages) and you will see and feel me. I can do this mom, I can.  Love you."

My return letter went like this verbatim,

"Dear Son,

Glad you like the Josh Hamilton book.  Read it again, and again, and again, and again.  Do some sit-ups and then read it again, and then read it one more time.  Forget what page 24 said?, read it again,and again and again.  Keep reading until the ink wears off.  Love you, Mom."

Yes, of course I downloaded the book.  Are you kidding?  Insight?  Heck yeah I jumped right on that!  Amazing.  Amazing. 

And again, Hope.  I cannot even imagine how hard it was for Josh Hamilton to come back.  But he did and he did it.  I don't need a son who can hit four home runs in one major league baseball game, I will settle for staying out of trouble and playing whiffle ball in the backyard with his brother and he will be free of demons.  Oh, that would be All Star Team worthy for me.

Typically, on Monday, I go to visit.  Not today.  I am slammed.  Franklin is going.  It will be the first time he has seen him since September 20. 

I am sure that it was not easy for Josh Hamilton to reveal his demons.  I know, for a million dollars you can do anything, but seriously, he did not  need the money.  He wanted to take his story and change lives.  Just like me.  I don't make any money from this blog, I could but I don't.  It isn't about the money.  It is about finding a place to go, a lady to talk to or a kid you can relate.  This blog, just like his book is about helping others.

Seriously, if Josh Hamilton can help my son, I will pay him a million dollars, that is what it is worth to me. If my son can find some peace and ability to to throw those demons onto the road and run over them from another person, wouldn't that be something?  God, I hope so.   But for now, I will just pray  that the "button" has the strength to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment