Monday, July 16, 2012

Fire Paw Coyote

Well, the men are home.  Both of them.  After 42 days in the Tonto National Forest, the "making of a walking" is complete.

Fire Paw Coyote and Rising Lion of the Moon came home on Saturday.

And so it begins, again.

The past couple days of have been filled with tales of the trail and lessons learned, sights seen and smells.  Seriously, my son could win Survivor.  He can start and make fire without matches or flint, aka, busting a coal, eat rations of food, find wood to carve from, carve eating utensils, etc.  He did it. 

And somewhere along the trail you learn to communicate effectively with people, learn to appreciate your family, the things you have at home, you learn to feel and
understand the greatness that each of has within and you learn to embrace your greatness and plan your goals accordingly so that you may always walk forward in life.

Back at home, we learned too.  We learned to find peace in our hearts.  When raising teenagers, that peace is sometimes very hard to find.  We have it.

 I have learned and absorbed that there are "seeds of greatness" in all.  What makes me sad is that my son went to this program for me to learn it.  I have known it all along but somehow, going through life, I tossed it to the side.  When "Fire Paw Coyote" first began his walk, we had to write him a "seeds of greatness letter."  Basically, it is a letter that talks about the beginning of their life and what you remember about them, the books they liked, when they learned to ride a bike, favorite movie, etc.  You would be amazed at what writing that letter does to your heart.  And then, I had to write one to Franklin.  Wow, that letter and the fact that I was reading "Fifty Shades of Grey" at the time, changed the way we acted.  Franklin of course had to write to me as well.

I am ashamed to say that I had never written one of these letters to my parents, my husband or my kids until now.  I am going to give one of these letters to my kids every year, from now on in their birthday cards. These letters change hearts.

All of this program is based on Indian ways and beliefs. 

Names were given.  Getting "your name" is such an honor.  I was named "Vibrant White Owl of the Mountain."  It is the name that was given to me by the "button" with details to intimate to share.  I can tell you, this was not a five minute process.  He really thought about it and then made me a memory pouch to keep the paper from the naming ceremony in it, close to my heart.  Seriously, maybe it is the inner Girl Scout in me, it was one of the most beautiful things I ever experienced.  Very organic.  

And so it begins.  Again.  What is next? I Don't have a clue.  I am out of the soothsaying business.   

One thing I know for sure,  you are NEVER too old to appreciate and feel new things and new beginnings.  You owe it to your heart and your inner self to open up your eyes and see new things or old things in new ways.  I have always been a lover of the outdoors and nature and now I am more convinced than ever that God's works do conquer and create peace.  I also am amazed how God puts people where they need to be and with whom they need to be with at that time.


In my life, I have been blessed to have had several of those "OH" moment experiences, one with my parents and a few without.  Nonetheless, we all benefited from the experiences.  These moments are all part of my inner being.  I am so glad that this will be one of his and one of ours as well. 

A year ago today, I was a frantic mess.  I had a heart at war and a heart spewing chaos.  Today I am the Vibrant White Owl of the Mountain, mother of Fire Paw Coyote, and I have spoken.








1 comment:

  1. Suddenly I am happy that I live in a country where you can buy alcohol legally when you are 16 years of age.

    It seems to me that there is nothing to learn from such a stay.

    ReplyDelete