Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Over the river and through the woods...to summer camp we go...Addie and Walker's big trip

In a decision that shocked even myself, we took Walker and Addie to visit the "button" today at summer camp/ fall semester.

On the way, the radio was on.  "Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go" was playing.  I could not help but think, "to summer camp we go, the car knows the way, and mom won't want us to stay at summer camp for the day."  Those lyrics were never written.

Anyway, we went. 

I have always had my list of NEVERS.  I would never pose nude, never put a satellite dish painted like a pizza in my front yard and I would never take my kids to summer camp.  One down, two to go. 

The list of questions that came from the both kids were endless.  And, they needed resolution.  Closure and comfort.  My gut very seldom steers me wrong, and this time, it didn't say no.  So, we said yes.  Don't pass judgement just yet, I never thought this was the correct thing to do before.  No, it wasn't the holiday sentiment.  The kids were out of school early and we all are healing.Perfect timing.  I wanted them to have their questions on the ceiling answered. 

We didn't tell the "button" they were coming.

We got up to the visitor's room and as luck would have it, we were the only ones there.  And Walker and Addie hid.  And out came the "button".  The "button" smiled as big as he could smile.  And they were happy.  Once again, not up us, it was about them.  And yes, the touched hands through the glass.  And that prompted me to do it as well.  Something I could not bring myself to do before today. 

And THREE different times today, I sang OUT LOUD. I looked up at the sky and sang to the the ANGELS.  Nobody was there, remember?  I could get away with this today.   He is growing up.  He is becoming a man.  He will have a future.  He even said that he can see now "where women can get a guy in trouble".  You had to be there, it was funny.

The "button" did verbally acknowledge that he never wanted them to see him this way.  He is the BIG brother but he understood and was sooooo glad they were there.  He was humbled. 

Walker and Addie did fine.  We laughed and fist pumped at the glass.   There is a reason this happened to our family.  We have been tested and we are passing.  We will make it.  We will smile at this later, not sure we will laugh, we will just smile.

Walker, Addie and me got back in the car.  Thanksgiving is tomorrow.  Preparations galore.  While there is one less plate at my table this year, there is a plate full of hope in my heart  for my family.  For this, I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment