Sunday, September 18, 2011

There's no place like home and Chocolate chip cookies

On the day that I was officially able to eat chocolate, I was summonsed  to the Land of Oz to pick up the "button".

He was discharged.

He was coming home.  Over 75 days of clean and sober living.
 
And off I went to get him.  I was happy.  I was nervous.  I was scared.  I was relieved.  I was unsure.  I was hopefully optimistic.

I climbed the mountain one last time and there he was, the "button".

The Land of Oz was in the rear view mirror and we NEVER looked back.

The ride home was "interesting".  It reminded me of a real life grab bag.  I was never sure where the conversation was going next.  I listened.  While I have a million unanswered questions, I am pretty sure that those are the questions you never really want the answers too.  I only asked one.  The answer was better than I expected.

Instead he talked and talked.  What was looking forward to the most?  Showering without shoes.  That was it, taking a shower without shoes on. 

He told me some stories about the fellows he met.  He agreed that he should write a book.  He is amazed at what he has learned in such a short period of time and also what he lost while learning.

He looked "bigger" to me than ever before.  And while he is becoming a "man" he had that look in his eyes when he too is a bit nervous. 

He said that he hadn't slept a full night in about 80 nights.  Apparently while I was up obsessing and seeing questions on my ceiling, he was seeing questions on his too.

Interesting, the place he "hated" the most was now the place he couldn't wait to return too.

And now we move forward as a family.  Last night was family dinner and for the first time since May, there were five plates on the table. 

I once returned home after living away and it wasn't easy and that was without the turmoil.  There will be a very structured plan for the "button" as he transitions.  We are honest and optimistic.  And off we go.  I am sure there will be Hallmark moments and Jerry Springer moments too.    We are just human. 

I did eat two chocolate chip cookies yesterday.  And yes, they were delicious.

1 comment: