Friday, July 29, 2011

the beginning

it wasn't supposed to be like this...i was to get married right after college, with a small waist, perky boobs and a great tea length dress in downtown pittsburgh.  instead, i was 37, boobs were starting to go south and my waist wasn't that small anymore.  well, maybe my waist was smaller the first go around...but we are talking about the current marriage.  the first one didn't last too long.

anyway, i got married with children.  one.  he was cute as a button.  my soon to be husband said, "if you marry me and help me raise him, i will make you a happy girl."  okay, i was the cross between mary poppins and maria von trapp and i wanted to be a mom.  i was in.  he took the dog lover to the pound.  the rest is history.  got married with children, adopted the "cute as a button" and more  kids followed.

where am i today? unemployed after a 32 year career in the radio broadcast industry, my husband is redefining himself thanks to an anemic economy and my 18 "button" is in jail.  oh, the "j" word.  usually gets people's attention.  i like to call it "summer camp".  summer camp sounds soooo much better than jail.  it is like the "c" word.  no, not that one. Cancer.  whenever anybody says, jail, cancer or even snot, it makes you cringe.  so...we are going with summer camp. 

this blog is about what happens when you have a plan and the plan gets derailed.  right there, in front of your very own eyes, the plan goes kaput and you stand in horror and watch, then weep and then get up and start going through the rubble trying to salvage what you can.  and, this blog is about kids and being an adult.  you know, my grandfather always said that being an adult was like wiping your ass with a hula-hoop.  it never ends. 

and most importantly, this blog is therapy.  i cannot afford a therapist right now and obviously my son needs the therapy more, so i will stick with this blog.  never, in any mother's dreams does she wake up in the morning and say. "this is the day my pride and joy goes to jail aka summer camp."

my favorite line from my favorite movie, "when the good lord closes a door, somewhere, he opens a window."  so,  here goes, with a ton of heart ache, humor and menapausal wisdom, i have officially added "blogger" to my resume.

1 comment:

  1. Steph... I love your blog... And I just want to say that everything happens for a reason. My hubs was laid off last October... And shortly thereafter, my Mama went down with MRSA after a femoral bypass attempt. His severance allowed us to get by while he busily helped us reshuffle the "deck".... By Feb. We we moved into my Mom's home in New Bern. I had always dreamed of lliving in my G-parents home... On the Trent river... But not in this way. He is still unemployed... And rethinking his identity as well. After 20+ years in construction he is "over it". I can relate to what seems like "chaos" in your life right now. sometimes I want to get in a car and just drive... Anywhere... Be anybody else... Somewhere else.... Then the bell rings at 2am... And I have to go turn Mama in the bed... Or help her pee.
    I am sorry for this tortuous season you are enduring. I have always admired you and often wished that we could have been better friends... But it seems we rarely intersect? Lol...
    I'll be keeping an eye on you from New Bern... Keep blogging sister!

    ReplyDelete